How to plan for severe weather emergencies
When severe weather threatens, focus on these three things before, during and after a storm.
Hurricanes and other severe storms can pose devastating threats to businesses in the coastal states of the U.S. Nationwide encourages everyone in these regions to take appropriate measures to help protect people and property. As you prepare for any extreme weather event, here are three things for you and your staff to focus on before, during and after severe weather:
1. Create a severe weather emergency plan tailored to your business
We’ve partnered with the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS), of which Nationwide is a member company, and with one of Nationwide’s reinsurers, Munich Re/Hartford Steam Boiler, to provide the following resources:
- EZ-PREP Toolkit: A step-by-step guide with a series of convenient checklists for the days and hours leading up to a storm and beyond
- EZ-PREP Infographic: A one-page snapshot of the EZ-PREP planning process
- Hurricanes, Before and After: A guide to help protect equipment and prevent property damage
- How to Prepare for a Hurricane: Additional tips for protecting your property
2. Monitor the storm and its progress
Your state Emergency Management Agency websites and local news and weather forecasters will help keep you informed of what to expect from approaching severe storms. Timely information, including evacuation notices/orders and links to county-specific announcements, are typically shared through those outlets.
Visit the National Hurricane Center for another helpful resource focused on saving lives and mitigating property loss by issuing the best watches, warnings and forecasts.
3. Keep our claims hotline number handy
Nationwide claims representatives and agents are prepared to assist businesses we insure if you’re impacted by a weather-related disaster. People and resources are in place to respond to your needs. If you experience storm damage, call the Nationwide claims hotline 24/7 at 1-800-421-3535 or contact your local agent.
Learn more about managing risk to your business
The expertise of the Nationwide Loss Control Services team provides a competitive advantage and added value to the businesses we insure. We offer industry advice and consultation through a wealth of resources, including:
- Virtual consultations with LCS specialists by phone or video
- Technical bulletins on a wide range of safety and risk management topics
- Hundreds of training videos from the Safety Source library
- A variety of loss control-related webinars held throughout the year
Not a Nationwide member? Contact an agent and get a quote today.
Questions? Contact Nationwide Loss Control Services at 1-866-808-2101 or LCS@Nationwide.com.