When criminals look for a potential victim, they choose the easiest targets. Some simple practices can aid in deterring robberies, such as:
- Security devices
- Clear visibility
- Effective cash-handling procedures
- Employee education and awareness programs
- Law enforcement support
- Install video surveillance equipment at each register and throughout the store.
- Install two-way communications (intercom) between fuel pumps and clerks.
- Check the silent alarm monthly to ensure it’s in proper working order.
- Have employees keep their cell phones handy, in case they should need to call 911.
- Install effective lighting inside and outside the store.
- Keep the store clean and tidy, inside and out; a positive appearance can be a sign of a secure store.
- Do not allow displays and signs to obstruct the view into the store or block employee view outside.
- Install mirrors to reveal blind spots.
- Keep a minimum amount of cash in registers and post signs accordingly.
- Locate cash registers away from exits and not within easy reach of customers.
- Accept only small bills or credit cards during night shifts.
- Place excess cash and large bills in the store safe immediately upon receiving.
- Keep registers open for the shortest time possible.
- Keep safes locked.
Employee education and awareness
- Acknowledge each customer who enters the store with a polite greeting.
- Greet gas customers with the aid of an intercom.
- Train employees to be vigilant for potential threats.
- Ask employees to not perform exterior duties on the night shift when working alone.
- Establish and maintain good rapport with local police.
- Schedule routine crime inspections by local police.
- Encourage police officers to stop in your store frequently.
- If faced with a suspicious situation, immediately call 911.
Learn more about managing risk to your business
The expertise of the Nationwide Loss Control Services team provides a competitive advantage and added value to the businesses we insure. We offer industry advice and consultation through a wealth of resources, including:
- Virtual consultations with LCS specialists via video and chat options
- Technical bulletins on a wide range of safety and risk management topics
- Hundreds of training videos from the Safety Source library
- A variety of loss control-related webinars held throughout the year
Not a Nationwide member? Contact an agent and get a quote today.
Questions? Contact Nationwide Loss Control Services at 1-866-808-2101 or LCS@Nationwide.com.