Make every month a time to focus on safety
Learn steps to help make your workplace safe for employees, customers and others.
With nearly 13,000 American workers injured each day, establishing a safety program should be a priority for every business. It may seem like a daunting task, but Nationwide Loss Control Services can help with guides on developing policies, the latest news in technology, and a variety of tools to share with your employees.
An annual event with a focus on safety
The National Safety Council (NSC) promotes National Safety Month every June by addressing a variety of safety topics to help keep your workers safe. Although this is a month-long event, establishing safe practices can help your employees avoid injuries and potential losses throughout the year.
You can’t predict every incident, but you can take time to consider the risks your business is exposed to and how to help reduce them. From first aid kits to severe weather planning, here are some ways to get started:
- Read a Nationwide article about severe weather emergency planning
- Consider an IBHS risk and vulnerability assessment (PDF)
- Learn how employees can help in disaster recovery (PDF)
- Find out how to build your disaster recovery plans (PDF)
- Fill out the IBHS OFB-EZ® business continuity planning toolkit (PDF)
- Listen to a Nationwide podcast on business continuity planning
Your employees keep your business running, and their wellness is important around the clock. Whether staying awake on long delivery trips, getting through flu season, or avoiding injuries on the job, you can help them stay well.
- Take action to help reduce the effects of flu season (PDF)
- Share tips with employees for lifting safety (PDF)
- Watch an NSC webinar on managing fatigue in the workplace
- Learn how to help your drivers avoid drowsy driving (PDF)
- Read a Nationwide article on wearable technologies helping employee wellness
- Watch a Nationwide webinar on creating a Successful Return to Work program
Fall protection leads OSHA’s top ten list of most frequently cited violations, but these incidents are preventable. From slips on wet floors to falls from heights, you can take measures to help protect workers and the public from fall hazards.
- Review our "Help prevent falls from heights" article
- Share tips with employees to prevent slips and falls (PDF)
- Create a ladder safety program with our brochure (PDF)
- Use a checklist to inspect ladders before use (PDF)
- Attend a Nationwide webinar on June 21 for our FLOORS program
- Establish a snow and ice removal program for cold weather months (PDF)
Whether your staff has an occasional local driver or a fleet of vehicles across the country, your business is being represented on the open road. Enforcing policies and training can help your drivers stay safe and avoid damages and injury.
- Designate a driver trainer to help educate and monitor drivers (PDF)
- Establish a driver safety program to outline fleet policies (PDF)
- Create and enforce a mobile device safety policy (PDF)
- Employ a DriveCam® program to help improve driver safety (PDF)
- Share tips with employees on single-vehicle incident prevention (PDF)
- Watch a Nationwide webinar on Distracted Driving
Maintain safety throughout the year
In addition to the topics here, Nationwide Loss Control Services provides a wealth of tools and resources here. If you’re a policyholder, register for the site and access technical bulletins, webinars and safety training videos. You can also get live assistance with click to chat and virtual consultation features.
Learn more about managing risk to your business
The expertise of the Nationwide Loss Control Services team provides a competitive advantage and added value to the businesses we insure. We offer industry advice and consultation through a wealth of resources, including:
- Virtual consultations with LCS specialists by phone or video
- Technical bulletins on a wide range of safety and risk management topics
- Hundreds of training videos from the Safety Source library
- A variety of loss control-related webinars held throughout the year
Not a Nationwide member? Contact an agent and get a quote today.
Questions? Contact Nationwide Loss Control Services at 1-866-808-2101 or LCS@Nationwide.com.