FDA Issues Advisory on Potentially Toxic Hand Sanitizer
The listed products reportedly contain methanol, which the FDA considers an unacceptable ingredient for hand sanitizer.
Due to the current worldwide focus on COVID-19, hand sanitizers have been used with greater frequency than ever before. While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) first recommends thoroughly washing with soap and water, hand sanitizers may be used when these are not available.
Recently, however, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), issued a warning regarding some hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, because of the potential presence of methanol in these products. Methanol, more commonly known as wood alcohol, can be toxic when it is absorbed through the skin or ingested.
According to the FDA, substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Anyone who uses these products is at risk. Young children who accidently ingest these products and people that drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute are at the greatest risk.
If any of the products listed below are available for employee or customer use at your business, it is recommended that you immediately discontinue use and dispose of them in appropriate hazardous waste containers.If you or someone you know has been exposed to these toxic brands of hand sanitizer, seek immediate medical attention.
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer
More details on this advisory from the FDA can be found here.
You can find more information about COVID-19 from the following locations:
- MyLossControlServices.com has several useful articles on COVID-19 for businesses
- CDC COVID-19 Page
- CDC guidance for healthcare professionals and businesses
- Other helpful tips from the Nonprofit Risk Management Center
The information presented here was obtained from sources believed to be reliable to help users address their own risk management and insurance needs. It does not and is not intended to provide legal advice. Nationwide, its affiliates and employees do not guarantee improved results based upon the information contained herein and assume no liability in connection with the information or the provided suggestions. The recommendations provided are general in nature; unique circumstances may not warrant or require implementation of some or all of the suggestions. Nothing here is intended to imply a grant of coverage. Each claim will be evaluated on its own merits and circumstances. Nationwide, Nationwide is on your side, and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2020 Nationwide